I’m not a fan of the cooler weather. I’m such a light weight when it comes to the frigid air and like to hibernate inside, drink tea and eat soup. This traditional Italian white bean and escarole soup is “souper” easy to make in just 15-20 minutes, low calorie, vegan and made with a few simple ingredients. This soup has always been warm and comforting and one of my favorites. Here’s how to make it.
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic.
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes.
- 2 stalks celery chopped.
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped.
- 6 cups water with 2 veggie bouillon cubes or 6 cups low sodium veggie stock.
- 1 BPA free can of Cannellini beans drained and rinsed.
- 1 head of organic escarole (sub baby spinach) roughly chopped.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
On the stove top heat olive oil in a medium pot until hot then add the onion, celery and carrot. Cook stirring occasionally until the veggies start to tender then add the garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for another minute then add tomatoes until heated through. Add the water and veggie bouillon and bring to a boil. Add the Cannellini beans, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the escarole and turn off the heat. Once the escarole is wilted remove from heat and serve. Add salt and pepper to taste if desired or top with shaved or grated Parmesan cheese and serve with sourdough bread. Serves 4-6.